Wednesday, June 23, 2010

(I have no idea what to title this)


As we stepped sleepily out of our dorm room this morning, a sight met our eyes that quickly woke us up. Seven new trucks that had been shipped in for use here were sitting by the soccer field, two of them totaled, and the others slightly damaged. Apparently the night before the Haitian drivers were driving them back from the port, some of the drivers without liscenses, and they had gotten into an accident. They are still sitting out there now and we're not sure what is going to happen with them.

Immediately after breakfast this morning we drove to a nearby IDP camp with the mobile clinic. When we arrived, the children once again ran up to us, greeting us with shy "bonjour"s and shaking our hands. Once they saw our smiling responses they grew more confident and would grab or hands and talk excitedly in Creole. The nurses set up two large tents with tables and a medicine section. Rebekah and I had brought some frisbees and a soccer ball and we played with the children while they waited to visit the nurses. One little boy attached himself to Rebekah and demanded to be held. When she tried to put him down he would place all his weight on her arms until she picked him up again. Another little girl came to me and clung to my arms and would slap the other children's hands away if they tried to grab mine. She kept begging me to pick her up, so I picked her up, spinning her in circles as she giggled with delight.


Children would come home in shifts from school, and we saw some children that we had seen two days before at the school we visited. Rebekah went to play soccer with some of the boys and I stayed around in a circle with some of the younger girls twirling and dancing with them. The sun was starting to peek through the clouds and Rebekah and I needed a water break so we retreated to the refuge of the nurses tent. Once inside we helped them count some pills and sort them into little bags. The nurses had brought a bag of silly bandz and balloons and we helped them give them out to the children.

Eventually we emerged from the shelter of the tent back to the energetic children. Rebekah found two young children and sat with them on their lap while I found a group of girls who taught me how to play some hand games with them. I'm starting to learn some of the words to the movements because we repeated the same games over and over and over. As more children came home from school we got a large group game started. One of their favorite games is one where a large circle of children links hands and chants the lyrics to a song as one child stands alone in the middle. When they get to a certain part in the song, the person in the middle walks over to a child standing on the outer edge and they do a little dance together. The excited voices of the children got the attention of the people in the surrounding tents and soon a large crowd of parents and grandparents were standing around watching us. I got chosen quite frequently to go into the middle, and everytime I got chosen all of the people would yell with excitement. But their excited yells turned into screams of delight when I began to shake my hips for the dancing part. I'm not sure if thats because I'm American and don't know how to dance half as well as those little children, or just because they were enjoying the moment. Whatever the reason, I had alot of fun laughing and dancing with the children, although it was a humbling experience to have little 5-year-old Haitian children out dance me.

After six hours of playing with the children at the camp, we finally arrived back at the compound. Rebekah hadn't been feeling well that morning so she laid down to rest, while my mom and I sorted pills together. She had been sorting pills all day and had organized over 5,000 pills!! The rest of the afternoon was once again pretty uneventful except for our nightly game of ultimate frisbee which my mom decided to join in on. Way to go mom! Tomorrow we are hoping to once again visit "our" orphanage, the Salem orphanage we visited first in Bonrebos. Thank you again for all your prayers, love, and support; it means the world to us.


With love from Haiti...

1 comment:

  1. Petra I love that you are doing such a great job with all the children!! You look wonderful with a sun kissed face and the children look so happy to be with you. I can not wait for your return so I can hear all of your stories.
    Love ya
    Amylia

    ReplyDelete